The process of developing application software for low power handheld devices such as personal digital assistants, enterprise digital assistants or mobile phones is referred to as mobile application development. Mobile application development attains greater significance in today’s business scenario where consumerization of IT has resulted in more and more enterprises supporting the concept of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). According to Gartner, by 2014 approximately 90% of organizations will support corporate applications on personal devices.
Today mobile devices such as tablets, Smartphones, iPhones, iPads are fast replacing laptops and desktops. As per Juniper research, the number of mobile devices used in the Enterprise software worldwide will increase and may be it will be more than double at the end of the year 2014. According to them, the number will reach up to an approximate 350 million in the year 2017.
Previously, mobile applications offered general productivity and information retrieval services. However, the immense popularity of mobile devices coupled with greater demand for next-generation technology resulted in the development of innovative applications that keep up with the customers’ ever-changing digital and social lives. Mobile application developers race with time to live up to the expectations of today’s sophisticated end users who require mobile applications with more processing power, flexibility, reliability, security and integration with other applications.
Considering the fact that today’s users want next generation applications, Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) must partner with product development services leaders with expertise in developing mobile applications. Here is a look at the capabilities of a good mobile application development company with a deep understanding of Location-Based Services (LBS), mobile media streaming, presence & social networking, messaging & syncing, mobile advertising & Ad engines, mobile VoIP and gaming.
· Developing mobile applications in J2ME, BREW, Android, iPhone, Symbian,Windows Mobile and BlackBerry
· Conceptualizing mobile applications and eliciting requirements(e.g.,UI design,prototype,wireframes,user stories)
· Designing, developing and QA testing applications
· Porting mobile applications between platforms and devices
· Developing server-side and infrastructure, including for location & mapping services
· Integrating third-party components on the server side (e.g.,SMS/MMS, billing,feeds,ads,content,etc.)
· Integrating carrier,SMSC and billing systems (e.g.,LBS platform for location determination)
· Coordinating with carriers and device manufacturers for mobile application testing and certification(e.g.,NSTL, JavaVerified)
· Launching and distributing mobile applications
· OTA download (e.g., install & upgrade)
· OEM embedded
· Application Stores (e.g.,iPhone App Store,BlackBerry App World,Android Market, Samsung App Store,etc.)
· Carrier Catalogs and Storefronts
· Providing maintenance and product support services
Thus, collaboration with such mobile application development companies helps ISVs to develop mobile applications quickly and cost-effectively.